10 reasons why you should saddle up
With a brand new poster boy in the shape of the super suave Mark Cavendish (he goes out with a page three model don’t you know!) and genuine world-class credentials, British cycling is enjoying somewhat of a renaissance. Here are ten reasons why you should saddle up:
1. Those who cycle regularly enjoy fitness levels equal to those of a person ten years younger (it’s practically fitness botox!)
2. It is a low-impact exercise so is a lot easier on your joints than pounding the pavements during a run.
3. During rush hour, a bike can be twice as fast as a car. Perfect for those of you who hate traffic jams!
4. It’s cheap! You don’t have to fork out on MOT, insurance, fuel or breakdown recovery and a good quality bike will last you years.
5. A study of more than 10,000 people found those who cycle at least 20 miles a week are half as likely to have heart problems as those who don't cycle at all.
6. Someone who weighs 80kg will burn more than 650 calories with an hour’s riding, and tone their legs and bottom too. If you ride up hills and off-road, you’ll also work your upper body.
7. According to a study by Northwestern University, regular sessions on your bike can be one of the most effective ways to bring your snoozing under control.
8. Cycling can be a great stress buster, a long leisurely ride will leave you feeling fit, relaxed and raring to go.
9. It’s really easy to make it part of your routine as it is a mode of transport as well as a form of exercise. Whether it’s to work, the gym or taking the kids to school – just two journey’s a day could make all the difference.
10. It is environmentally friendly - you'll be helping to reduce noise and air pollution as well as traffic congestion.