Login Register

Insurance requirements for caravans

By Luton On Sunday  |  Posted: February 18, 2013

Comments (0)

The way Britons holiday is currently being impacted by the financial climate. People are reining in their expenses and looking for low cost alternatives, as well as sacrificing far flung destinations to explore corners of the British Isles they may once have neglected.

Recent figures have shown that 20% more people are having caravan related holidays, while figures provided by the Caravan Club are showing record numbers of booking across their sites. However, not everyone embarking on this kind of holiday is aware of the requirements for caravan insurance.

If you’re thinking of investing in a caravan, here’s a quick guide to caravan and motorhome insurance provided through Safeguard.

Motorhome insurance

You can usually choose from one of the following three options:

  • 3rd party – will pay out in the event of you damaging a 3rd party’s vehicle of injuring them, but will not cover you for damage to your vehicle
  • 3rd party theft and fire – as above, but will also cover you if your vehicle is stolen or damaged by fire
  • Fully comprehensive – inclusive of both of the above, as well as additional cover – this will vary between insurers, so a little research is required, but will usually include replacement, European cover, contents and equipment, as well as windscreen and window cover

Touring and Static Caravan Insurance

For those who have a caravan (or are thinking of buying one) which is towed behind a vehicle or a static caravan located permanently at a caravan site, there will be a number of considerations to take into account such as the cheapest caravan insurance and the cover provided.

Factors to consider include the following:

  • Trips within the EU – this is obviously extremely important for touring caravans which can be used for holidaying abroad – most caravan insurance policies cover you whislt in the EU for third party liability, but will often place restrictions on the time you’re covered for.
  • Replacement or repair – in the case it is damaged or stolen
  • Contents cover – most standard caravan insurance policies will cover you for the contents as well as fixtures and fittings

Legal requirements

When a caravan is being towed on a public road it’s a legal requirement under the Road Traffic Act that your caravan is covered by a minimum level of third party liability.

This may be the only specific legal requirement for caravan insurance, but it doesn’t detract from the fact that if you’re enjoying this type of holiday you should ensure that you’re fully covered by an appropriate policy.

Read more from Luton on Sunday

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters