Residents now have the opportunity to pass their safety concerns to the newly-set up Houghton Regis Community Safety Action Group.
The community had raised some concerns on social media sites about crime and disorder in the area and as a result Central Bedfordshire Council’s anti-social behaviour (ASB) team set up the Action Group in partnership with Houghton Regis Town Council.
This multi-agency group will work together to put in place an action plan to reduce petty crime and anti-social behaviour in the area. The group consists of Councillor and staff representatives from the Town Council and Central Bedfordshire Council, Bedfordshire Police, Anti-Social Behaviour Team, housing officers, youth workers, community workers and Street Watch.
Cllr Budge Wells, Deputy Executive Member for Sustainable Communities, Services, said: “‘We have started this group to look at ways in which we can help reduce crime and the fear of crime.
“The fear of crime can often be much greater than the reality. In fact overall in the period from 1 November 2012 to 31 January 2013 there has been a 12 per cent reduction in anti-social behaviour compared with the same period last year.
"However, seasonal issues like snowball throwing can lead to an increase in reported incidents.
“Although crime levels have shown no overall increase, which is positive news, we understand that people still may have worries. This Action Group is a great way of getting everyone together and showing what is already being done as well as what possible initiatives we could do in the future too. By working together we can make a real difference in Houghton Regis.”
- Police appeal for information after men try and drag woman into car in Millfield Road, Luton
- Drivers facing delays after accident closes M1 motorway between Junction 10 and 11 at Luton
- Luton man Adam Stokes is charged with manslaughter of his 9-week-old daughter
- Luton man receives 12 month Community Order after admitting possessing cannabis at his home in Frederick Street
- Promotion-winning Luton Town will have open top bus parade and civic reception on Sunday May 4
- Which takeaways are scored 'zero' or 'one' in Bedfordshire by the Food Standards Agency?