A councillor has been ordered to apologise to a resident after it was found she had ‘not treated him with respect’.
Liberal Democrat Cllr Jenny Davies received an email from Luton resident John Shakespeare on August 12 last year regarding an article in The Sun newspaper.
The front page story concerned benefits claimant Theresa Winters, the Luton mother of 14 who once said she would carry on having children until social services let her keep one.
Ms Winters’ case was revealed exclusively in 2009 by our sister paper, Luton & Dunstable Express, the day before The Sun picked up on it.
In his email to Cllr Davies, Mr Shakespeare described himself as a ‘fed up taxpaying citizen’.
She wrote in response: “Dear whoeveryou- are, I haven’t the slightest idea what you are talking about. I do not and would not read The Sun – indeed I would not give houseroom to that disgusting piece of lavatory paper.
“Nor would I waste my time checking the website of any (Rupert) Murdoch paper – any more than I would have Sky TV or pay for any Murdoch product.”
Mr Shakespeare complained and the matter was referred to an adjudication panel following an investigation by one of Luton Borough Council’s senior legal officers, who found Cllr Davies failed to comply with the authority’s Code of Conduct for Members.
On January 20, it was found Cllr Davies had not treated Mr Shakespeare with respect in her email response to him. She was reprimanded and told to send a written apology, with 28 days to appeal.
A council spokesman said it would not be appropriate to comment.
Cllr Davies failed to respond by the time Luton On Sunday went to press.
- Man seriously injured after shooting on Dunstable Road following car accident
- PICTURES: Forensic officers examine site of shooting on Dunstable Road this morning
- New supermarket set to join town - but B&Q will reduce in size
- Police release new description of suspect in Dunstable Road shooting
- EXCLUSIVE: First pictures as armed police arrest shooting suspect in Marsh Farm, Luton
- Luton fourth highest in national table for welfare spending per head