Motorists are being advised that there will be a ‘big load’ on the road on Sunday.
National Grid is gearing up for a big move’ on the A4007, A412, M40, M25, M1 and B579 in the Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire region.
A disused Super Grid Transformer (SGT) will be removed from Iver Substation in South Buckinghamshire and transported to Sundon Substation, in Central Bedfordshire.
The 94 tonne transformer is a large piece of equipment and it requires a special transporter to make the journey.
The transformer will leave Iver Substation between 8am and 9am, and travel west along the A4007.
It will then turn right onto Bangors Road North and right again onto the A412, joining the M40 at Junction 1 and travelling a short distance to join M25 at Junction 1a.
Heading clockwise along the M25, it will join the M1 at Junction 21 and leave it at Junction 12. It will pass through Toddington Village on the B579, travelling south towards Chalton, arriving at Sundon Substation at approximately 2pm.
National Grid Project Manager Ian Lammin said “Our trip has been carefully planned with the Highways Agency and the local authorities along the route. Some signage and a lamppost will have to be temporarily removed and replaced at Sundon Substation’s entrance.
"We won’t be suspending parking or access to any roads but would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused by the movement of our transformer. Moving large pieces of equipment like this is a rare but vital part of our job to maintain the electricity supply network and keep the lights on.’”
- Luton motorists using M1 Junction 10a advised to allow extra time for journeys due to road closures
- Luton Town captain Ronnie Henry believes the Hatters are back on the up
- Barclays Bank fined £12k after Luton employee badly burnt her face and arms at work
- Luton Town fans buy 'CHAMPIONS' shirt as Hatters clinch promotion to League 2
- Residents petition raises concerns about 'improvements' to Court Drive in Dunstable
- Cyclist in Luton taken to hospital after collision with Nissan micra in New Bedford Road