Burglars stormed through a house after claiming they were checking drains.
When a man knocked at the door of an elderly couple’s home in Evelyn Road, Dunstable, at 1pm on June 4, the woman escorted him to the back garden.
But when he made his way back inside the house to turn on the taps she became suspicious and called for her husband who was sleeping upstairs.
A second man then ran down the stairs and out of the front door, closely followed by the first burglar, and both ran towards Luton Road empty-handed.
Detective Constable Steve Francis said: “These offenders appear to have deliberately picked on an elderly woman and taken advantage of her.
“The victim has been left extremely distressed by what has happened and we really need the public’s help in identifying the offenders.” The first man is described as being white, in his early 20s, 5ft 3ins, of slim build and wearing a grey top.
The second man was white and in his early 30s.
Anyone with information can contact DC Francis, in confidence, on 01582 473361.
- BREAKING: Luton Airport expansion plan gets the go ahead
- FILM REVIEW: Mandela, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty & 47 Ronin
- VIDEO: Armed robber threatens worker at Genting's Casino in Luton with gun
- Luton Town boss John Still: "If it were down to me we wouldn't play over Christmas"
- Bedfordshire Police reveal trial of body-worn video cameras
- Luton man charged with burglary and firearms offences