North of Luton and north Houghton Regis have been earmarked as potential locations for a total of 11,000 new homes.
Councillors plumped for the areas as part of a wider proposal to develop areas of the Central Bedfordshire district.
It involves 4,000 homes north of Luton and 7,000 in north Houghton Regis, but not the controversial 500 for Barton-le-Clay proposed three weeks ago.
A seven-week public consultation on the overall plan, called the Development Strategy, will be launched on Wednesday.
Central Beds estimates it needs to build almost 29,000 new homes in the next 20 years. More than half have already been planned for through existing planning permissions and allocations.
The other potential half were decided on at a sustainable communities overview and scrutiny committee meeting on Monday, when councillors also voted to include proposals to build 2,500 homes east of Leighton-Linslade, 500 homes south of the Wixams development south of Bedford, and a Sundon Rail Freight Interchange facility.
Councillor Ian Shingler, who represents Barton-le-Clay on Central Beds, is planning to organise a village-wide referendum asking residents if they support or oppose DLP Consulting Group’s 500-home plan for land north of Higham Road, even though it is not part of the plan, in case it is ever reconsidered by the council.
He said: “Around 100 people attended the Barton-le-Clay Parish Council meeting on Monday evening, when this issue was on the agenda, and I think they were reassured because Central Beds is not proceeding with it as a preferred site.
“I spoke in favour of it not being included as it is not suitable.”
The overall strategy can be viewed on the council’s website at www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/ strategic-planning Copies of the documents are available to view at council customer service centres and libraries, where summary leaflets will also be available.
- Man stabbed several times in the arm and shoulder in Luton underpass in daylight attack
- Motorcyclist left with 'life-changing injuries' after hit and run collision in Parkside Drive in Houghton Regis
- IPCC outlines scope of investigation into the death of Luton man Leon Briggs, who passed away in police custody
- Luton man charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine after police seize van with drugs worth £10k in Cardiff
- Woman cut with knife and has Apple iPhone 4 stolen during robbery in Ash Road, Luton
- Gavin Shuker MP says findings of Barnfield Federation investigation should be seen as 'reflection' of its former head Sir Peter Birkett