TWO people have been arrested this morning (September 6) after officers executed four search warrants at various locations in Luton.
The pre-planned raids – which took place in Briar Close, The Drummonds (Dunstable Road), Tower Court (Tower Road) and The Magpies - began during the early hours and were a response to reports of shots being fired at a house in Devon Road on Wednesday September 4.
The two males – aged 21 and 17 - were both arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, on suspicion of conspiracy to cause criminal damage and on suspicion of affray.
Both will be questioned by detectives today.
Detective Inspector Iain Morgan, said: “Following the incident which took place in Devon Road on Wednesday night we received some very important information from witnesses and members of the community which enabled us to execute these warrants this morning and make two arrests.
“I continue to appeal to anyone who has information about the offence that took place in Devon Road or from anyone who was in or near the area at the time and recalls hearing or seeing a motorcycle or the offenders before or after the offence.
“All information given to the police is used and kept confidentially, so if anyone has information that can help in the fight against those who are involved in gun crime, I would encourage them to speak to officers now.”
While Wednesday’s offence is not believed to be related to the wider on-going gun crime in Luton and is being dealt with separately, Bedfordshire Police have so far arrested 63 people, executed 55 warrants, recovered 27 firearms, carried out 231 overt patrol stop-checks and charged four people with firearm/weapon offences. A further 12 people are currently on bail for similar offences.
Anyone with information about gun crime can contact detectives on the direct confidential reporting line 01582 394281, or use the 24 hour non-emergency number 101; text force control direct on 07786 200011 or contact the independent crime fighting charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111. Up to £2000 worth of reward money is available for information about gun crime in Luton.
- Two men arrested after stabbing outside the Asda in Wigmore Lane, Luton
- Luton shooting trial latest: Victim Atif Ali tells court how he dragged himself to the roadside after being shot
- Easyjet cancels flights between London Luton and Tel Aviv after rocket fired from Gaza narrowly misses Israeli airport
- Police hunt for Luton man wanted for driving offences after being spotted driving a BMW convertible
- Man steals cash and bank cards from unsuspecting woman's bag in Poundland in Dunstable
- GALLERY: New plus size clothing store to open in Luton Mall this Friday