Offers from other clubs saw Godfrey Poku snub a new deal to stay at Luton, Paul Buckle believes.
Negotiations had been taking place between the manager and his representative, former Hatters hero Kevin Nicholls – now a football agent – but they broke down.
A bid has also been tabled by another club which the Hatters rebuffed but Buckle believes the 21-year-old has agreed a deal elsewhere, with rumours linking him to Conference rivals Mansfield.
The Luton boss said: “I’ve not spoken to Godders because he’s been away on holiday for quite a while, but I’ve been speaking to Nico regarding it.
“I said to him, ‘if Godders doesn’t want to be at Luton then he’s got to move on’.
“We offered him a deal that we thought was right but someone is obviously willing to pay him a lot more money, that’s how I see this one.
“He turned it down because he’s already got a deal somewhere else. This is what happens. When they’re out of contract they can talk to as many clubs as they like."
- Man stabbed several times in the arm and shoulder in Luton underpass in daylight attack
- Motorcyclist left with 'life-changing injuries' after hit and run collision in Parkside Drive in Houghton Regis
- IPCC outlines scope of investigation into the death of Luton man Leon Briggs, who passed away in police custody
- Luton man charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine after police seize van with drugs worth £10k in Cardiff
- BREAKING: Missing 21-year-old Sean Kennedy from Flitwick found safe and well
- Woman cut with knife and has Apple iPhone 4 stolen during robbery in Ash Road, Luton