Watson & Robson through on day of upsets
Heather Watson and Laura Robson got the British grass-court challenge off to a flying start with a pair of impressive first round victories in the AEGON International at Eastbourne.
Wild-card Watson had too much for Hungary's world number 106 Greta Arn, converting her only two break point opportunities of the match while avoiding any on her own serve as she came through 6-3 6-4.
And Robson showed plenty of resolve as she fell behind to world number 49 Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez of Spain before battling back to win 3-6 6-2 6-2, breaking her opponent four times in the last two sets.
On a day of upsets, top seed Agnieszka Radwanska and second seed Petra Kvitova were both knocked out, while former world number one Caroline Wozniacki also suffered an early exit.
Radwanska was beaten 6-2 6-4 by Bulgaria's former Wimbledon semi-finalist Tsvetana Pironkova, while reigning Wimbledon champion Kvitova went down 7-5 6-4 to Ekaterina Makarova of Russia.
Third seed Wozniacki's stated hope of contending for the Wimbledon title looks more unlikely than ever after she came out on the wrong end of a 6-1 6-7 (9/7) 6-4, two-and-a-half hour defeat to American Christina McHale.
Fourth seed Marion Bartoli and fifth seed Angelique Kerber avoided upsets with wins over Sorana Cirstea and Elena Vesnina respectively while Stephanie Dubois, Lucie Safarova, Klara Zakopalova and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova were also winners.
- Man stabbed several times in the arm and shoulder in Luton underpass in daylight attack
- Motorcyclist left with 'life-changing injuries' after hit and run collision in Parkside Drive in Houghton Regis
- IPCC outlines scope of investigation into the death of Luton man Leon Briggs, who passed away in police custody
- Luton man charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine after police seize van with drugs worth £10k in Cardiff
- BREAKING: Missing 21-year-old Sean Kennedy from Flitwick found safe and well
- Woman cut with knife and has Apple iPhone 4 stolen during robbery in Ash Road, Luton